Maharashtra Prohibition of Ragging Act. 1999
Ragging means display of disorderly conduct, doing of any act which causes or is likely to cause physical or psychological harm or raise apprehension or fear or shame or embarrassment to a student in any educational institution, and includes.
- Teasing, abusing threatening or playing practical jokes on, or causing hurt to such student or
- Asking a student to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary courses, willingly, do.
- Ragging within or outside of any educational institution is prohibited.
- Whosoever directly or indirectly commits, participates in abets or propagates ragging within or outside any educational institution, shall, on conviction, be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years and shall also be liable to a fine which may extend to Rs. 10,000
- Any student convicted of an offence under section 4 shall be dismissed from the educational institution and such student shall not be admitted in any other educational institution for a period of five years from the date of such dismissal.